Sunday, January 29, 2006

come around

currently listening to: Rhett Miller - Come Around

The door opens in front of her. And there he stands outside, waiting.

WOMAN: You’re here.

MAN: Yes, I am.

WOMAN: Why?

MAN: Because you called.

WOMAN: You’re mistaken.

MAN: Maybe I am.

WOMAN: Then you should go.

MAN: I will. After I know the reason why you called.

WOMAN: How do you know it was me?

MAN: Because you’ve done this before.

WOMAN: Done what?

MAN: Call without saying a word.

WOMAN: Would you have listened?

MAN: I don’t know.

WOMAN: So you come here.

MAN: To listen.

WOMAN: And yet, you still do not understand.

MAN: I understand that you called for a reason.

WOMAN: Did you answer when it rang?

MAN: I should’ve.

WOMAN: Why didn’t you?

MAN: Because I knew it was you.

WOMAN: It wasn’t me.

MAN: Who was it then?

WOMAN: You would have known if you only picked up the phone.

MAN: I'd pick it up. But you'd always keep silent.


WOMAN: She didn’t want to talk to you?

MAN: You'd only listen to my voice. And then hang up.

WOMAN: She wanted for you to be the one to call.

MAN: And you wanted me to come.


WOMAN: To go to her.

MAN: To wait outside your door.

WOMAN: She called to see if you cared.

Silence only between them.

Footsteps nearby break the stillness.

Someone emerges from the room.

She was not alone.

MAN: I understand.

WOMAN: Don’t pretend that you do.

MAN: I understand that many things were left unsaid.

WOMAN: And you wait for the things I will never say.

MAN: And I leave now without hearing you say it.

But it is she who turns to leave.

MAN: Why did you call?

WOMAN: Because I was waiting.

MAN: For me to call.

WOMAN: And I waited.

MAN: For me to come.

WOMAN: But you never came.

MAN: Not until now.

WOMAN: I called to say goodbye.

The door closes behind her. And he stands outside, waiting.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow tonyo... bilib talaga ako sayo magsulat. this is so powerful.

Anonymous said...

beautiful toni.Ü i love it.. scratch that, i love it...

always,
rüss

wenk. said...

o! pwede yan pang screenplay! gawa ka ulit thesis! enroll ka ulit! haha.

and congrats, graduate :)

toni cuesta said...

patty: ngek! =) pero thanks na rin. hehehe. =) fabulous noh? =)

russ: hey russ! i texted you, di ka nagreply. =(

glad you liked it. =)

wenk: waaaahhhh!!! ang hirap ng buhay graduate!!! araw araw trabaho!!! gusto ko na ngang magthesis na lang ulit! waaaahhh!!!

pero thanks na rin sa congrats. sniff sniff.

yayam said...

you wrote this? nice! very nice! :D

Anonymous said...

yayam: yup! =) thanks. bow. =)

Unknown said...

Loved it!!! it was perfect!!

:)